Monday, October 27, 2008

Second guessing ourselves

A fellow referee posed the following situation and how he handled it. Read it and comment what you think...

U14B. Big crowd in front of net. Attacker about 6 yds off to the left of the goal area line, about 2 yards in from the goal line, shoots across thethe front of the goal.

The ball hits the hand of a defender about 4-5 yards away, who I forget is either facing the attacker or his back to the attacker, I cannot remember, but the ball hits his hand but continues with just about the same velocity and direction across the front of the goal, and then is shortly cleared out of play for a goal kick.

At the time the ball hit the defender's hand, his arm was parallel with his body, his hand was below his waist, about 1-2 inches from his hip.

I made no call, in my opinion the player did not make himself bigger, did not deny a goal scoring opportunity since the ball proceeded in it's projected path with minimal speed reduction. However, post-game, as you replay things in your mind, I was wondering if I should have
called for a PK.

3 comments:

Dave Mushinskie said...

Don't second guess yourself. You make the right call in the split second that we have to make the call. I had to make the opposite call this weekend.

It was a somewhat heated U16B club game and the player moved his hand up from his side to his chest. He was far enough away from the pass to chest the ball or step backwards, but he didn't. My split second judgement was that he deliberately handled the ball inside the penalty area, hence the PK. To make matters worse, this was the 2nd penalty kick that I called in the first half.

Needless to say, 50% of the venue was not happy, the other 50% were very happy.....

Andrew said...

Dave, Did your AR make the same observation - just curious. How did the AR react? Should an AR ever confirm a call or is it pointless by that time.

By the way how did you get involved in refereeing club games.

Dave Mushinskie said...

We spoke about it at halftime, but with all the commotion, he didn't see it.

As for refeering in Club soccer, you can cross-certify from an AYSO Intermediate to a USSF Grade 8 referee. I've got the paperwork, let me know if you want me to get you a copy.